The insurance policy you need will depend on what type of caravan you own:

  • Touring caravan insurance: This covers caravans that you tow behind your car. Your car insurance may include cover, but it will only be a basic level of protection.

  • Static caravan insurance: This covers caravans and parkhomes that are kept at a fixed location, like a holiday park.

  • Motorhome insurance: This is a legal requirement and covers any caravan you can drive, like a motorhome or campervan.

This comparison includes all three types of caravan insurance, so you can use it to find the right type of policy for you.

How to find the best policy

Once you know the insurance you need, think about what cover you want. Most policies cover:

  • Accidental and malicious damage

  • Third party liability

  • Theft

  • The contents of your caravan

Some policies offer new for old cover, which means your caravan or contents will be replaced with a new, equivalent model if they are destroyed or stolen.

You can also add optional extras to your policy including:

  • Breakdown cover

  • European cover

  • Cover for your friends and family to use your caravan

Cut the cost of your policy

You could get cheaper caravan insurance by:

The best way to get cheaper caravan insurance is to compare quotes from as many insurers as possible.

Caravan insurance FAQs


Do I need to have caravan insurance?


It is not a legal requirement to insure your caravan, unless it is motorised. However, it could save you an expensive bill if anything goes wrong.


Will the contents of my caravan be covered?


Yes, most policies include cover for the contents of your caravan. Work out how much your contents are worth so you know how much cover you need.


Will my car insurance cover a caravan I tow?


It might, but it may only cover third party damage.


Will I be covered to take my caravan abroad?


Some insurers offer European cover for a set number of days each year, but may charge you extra to add it to your policy.


Do I have to pay when I make a claim?


Yes, you have to pay an excess, which is a set amount you have to pay towards the cost of any claim you make.

About our caravan insurance comparison


Who do we include in this comparison?


We include caravan insurance policies available from our panel of insurers and brokers. They are all regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Here is more information about how our website works.


How do we make money from our comparison?


We have commercial agreements with some of the companies in this comparison and get paid commission if we help you take out one of their products or services. Find out more here.

You do not pay any extra and the deal you get is not affected.