Compare student contents insurance

Find contents insurance to protect your valuables if you’re a student living in halls or a shared house.

  • Choose your extras
  • Protect your belongings
  • Get quotes from leading providers
  • Find contents insurance that suits you

or click here to find student contents insurance

Powered By

Compare home insurance from leading providers

You'll only find results from genuine companies. Our data experts check each company before we add them to our comparisons.

Hasting Direct
More than logo
Legal General logo

How to get a home insurance quote


Enter your details

Get personalised quotes in minutes by providing a few home details.


Compare quotes

Find the contents insurance that’s right for you by exploring our best deals.


Apply and save

Start saving money and apply with your chosen provider.

What is student contents insurance?

Student contents insurance covers your belongings while you’re studying away from home. 

Your family’s home insurance might cover you while you are at university, but it may not offer the best cover. If it doesn’t, or if you just want extra protection, you can use our comparison to see student contents insurance from every provider across the UK.

To get the best policy, think about:

  • which items you want to protect and how much they are worth

  • what extra cover would be useful, such as mobile phone insurance

  • what is excluded

Here is more information about student home insurance

student at desk

What do you need to protect?

Most student policies offer the same cover as standard contents insurance and can also include the following extras if you study away from home:

  • Gadget cover: protects valuable items such as your laptop, mobile phone or tablet

  • Musical instrument cover: protects your instrument against damage and theft

  • Room key cover: if you lose your room or house keys, this covers any costs incurred and can pay for a locksmith

  • Tuition fee cover: pays for your rent and tuition if you are unable to continue your course following illness or an accident

Check each policy carefully to see if these benefits are included as standard or if you can add them for an extra cost. You need enough cover to replace all your belongings if they are stolen or destroyed – add up the total value to see how much cover you need.

Find out how to work out the value of your contents here

student library

What is not covered?

When comparing policies, check the terms and conditions carefully to see what is excluded. Common exclusions include:

  • theft with no sign of forced entry – for example, if someone living with you steals your tablet

  • break-ins if you do not have an approved lock on your door

  • cover during term holidays

  • any item over a certain value, such as £1,000

Once you know how much cover you need and what exclusions to watch out for, compare as many policies as possible to find the best cover at the cheapest price.

Optional extras

Some insurers offer extras to improve your level of cover. Common add-ons include:

  • personal possessions cover

  • garden cover

  • bicycle cover

Any extras you add increase the cost of your premiums, but you may save money overall if you need to make a claim for an item that would not otherwise be covered.

Student contents insurance FAQs

Get home insurance quotes

Compare quotes to protect your home with the right cover.

Explore Home insurance guides

See more guides

man outside working on laptop

How to manage your home insurance policy

Once you have insured your home, you need to keep your cover up to date to make sure it stays valid. Here is how you can manage your home insurance policy.

Read More
2 Scottish houses by a road. One house has a white door and the other has a red door.

What home insurance do you need?

Whether you live in a flat or a mansion, getting the right home insurance policy is essential. Here is how to find the best cover for your property.

Read More
Empty road through a village, with small houses on either side of the road.

How to insure your second home

If you own a second home in the UK, you may need specific home insurance to protect it. Here is how to cover your second home.

Read More

Why compare home insurance with

By comparing home insurance, you could save money on the policy. The best value Home insurance will offer the cover to your home and content. Choose a cover plan from the best UK home insurance companies and see the online discounts they offer.

Proud to be award winning

We have always aimed to provide the best possible services to bridge the gap between our users and our clients. Over the years, we have been thrilled to be recognised by various prestigious bodies and organisations for those efforts.

stevie award
WMA 2021 Logo-768x632
nba logo
logo dma
ecommerce awards

Home Insurance comparison is provided by which is a trading name of Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office; Greyfriars House, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff, CF10 3AL, registered in England and Wales 03857130. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites. By using this system you are also agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. is an intermediary and receives a percentage of the commission if you decide to buy through us.

Last updated: 18 May 2022