Compare our best holiday let insurance

Protect your holiday let even when you’re not there

Holiday let insurance is on hand to help if something goes wrong

Get holiday let insurance

Compare holiday let insurance from leading providers
SchofieldsHomeprotectAdrian FluxInsurance For Holiday Homesi4meSchofieldsHomeprotectAdrian FluxInsurance For Holiday Homesi4me is rated Excellent | by 1,062 people
Fact checker
Last updated
December 3rd, 2023

What is holiday let insurance?

Holiday let insurance is available for properties located in the UK and abroad. With it, your let and anyone you’ve allowed to stay there is covered. It also ensures you won’t be out of pocket if there’s a flood, break-in or other disaster while no one’s there.

Holiday let insurance gives you peace of mind."

Do I need holiday let insurance?

Holiday let insurance covers your holiday home and protects you and any paying guests against losses caused by theft, fire, burst pipes, water or storm damage.

Whether the property’s furnished or not, holiday let or holiday cottage insurance gives you crucial protection.

What holiday let cover can I get?

When you rent out your property, think about having the following insurance benefits in place:

  • Accidental damage: Protects your contents against any damage caused by renters or their guests

  • Key cover: pays toward the cost of replacement keys and locks if yours are lost

  • Public liability insurance: This protects you if visitors and paying guests are injured or their property is damaged in your let, and they take legal action against you

  • Employer's liability insurance: This cover protects you if someone you employ - like a cleaner or gardener - is injured while working for you

  • Loss of rent or income: Covers loss of rental income if you can’t let your holiday home due to damage covered by your buildings insurance, e.g. flood or fire

How to choose the best holiday let insurance

It’s important that you get the right cover for your needs, so here are three things to consider during the decision-making process:

Level of cover

Holiday let insurance will vary, so make sure you choose the cover that suits your property. For example, do you have a hot tub or swimming pool? You’ll probably need specific cover for this.

Don’t forget about the extras

You might need to add some extra elements to your holiday let insurance depending on what you’re offering guests. If your holiday let is pet-friendly, double check to see if the policy covers damage caused by and injury to pets.

Check the terms and conditions

As with all insurance, it’s essential that you check the terms and conditions to ensure you’re fully protected. Take a look at how much loss of rent is covered or how often you’ll need to inspect the holiday let to ensure you meet the terms of the insurance.

What are the other benefits of holiday let insurance?

Many holiday let insurance policies offer additional protection as standard, like:

  • Cover for properties abroad: Even if your property’s overseas, insurers specialising in cover for UK-based holiday homes may still insure overseas holiday homes

  • Emergency travel cover: If your home’s damaged – whether it's a house, apartment, flat, cottage, chalet, villa or even a static caravan – you may be able to claim back the cost of a return flight to inspect the damage. This cover should also apply if there’s an emergency, such as a burst pipe or a break-in

  • Theft: Cover for items in the property that have been stolen by guests or visitors where there is no sign of forced entry

Work out what cover you need for your holiday let, then use our comparison tool above to find the right policy at the best price."


Do I need to have a holiday let insurance policy?

Holiday let insurance isn’t a legal requirement, but it makes sense to be protected against damage and third-party claims. Also, if you’ve got a mortgage on your holiday property, your lender will invariably insist you have buildings cover to protect their investment. They may also require you to have landlord insurance.

Can I cover different types of properties?

Yes, most holiday let policies cover villas, chalets, apartments and static caravans in the UK or overseas.

How long can I leave my holiday let empty?

Many insurers cover your property no matter how long it’s empty. Some will only allow you to leave it vacant for a given period, for instance, 60 days. So, always check the terms and conditions before settling on a holiday home insurance policy.

Also, since Brexit, Brits can’t stay at their own holiday home (in the Schengen Area) for more than 90 days in every 180-day period.

Can I insure my holiday let with a standard home insurance policy?

No. You need extra cover, like public liability insurance. Standard home insurance policies won’t cover your property if it’s not your main residence. They also won’t cover the property if it’s left unoccupied for longer periods than the maximum stipulated in the terms and conditions.

In which countries can I insure my holiday let?

European holiday let insurance policies tend to cover most popular destinations, like France, Spain and Italy. Some UK holiday insurance policies also cover European holiday homes.

Explore our home insurance guides

Find out more about how home insurance works and whether it's right for you
How to manage your home insurance policy
How to manage your home insurance policy
What home insurance do you need?
What home insurance do you need?
How to insure your second home
How to insure your second home

About the author

Lucinda O'Brien
Lucinda O'Brien has spent the past 10 years writing and editing content for regional and national titles. She applies her industry knowledge to ensure readers can make confident financial decisions.

Customer Reviews

Rated 3.9 out of 5
by 1,062 people