Compare public and employers' liability insurance

Public and employer's liability insurance covers you if anything happens to staff or customers on your premises. Compare policy options to get protection from compensation or legal claims.

7 results found, sorted by affiliated products first. How we order our comparisons. Commission earned affects the table's sort order.
Best Newcomer: Insurance Choice Awards 2019
Superscript Business Insurance
Policies for
IT & Tech, Marketing, Consultants, Trades, Healthcare workers, Creatives & more
Cover options
Buildings, contents, professional indemnity, cyber, D&O, legal expenses & more
Liability options
Public liability up to £5,000,000 & employers' liability up to £10,000,000
Award-winning business insurance for today's risks (Best Newcomer at the Insurance Choice Awards 2019). Pay by month. Adjust your cover as you grow. No admin fees. Immediate access to your policy docs. This is business insurance on your terms.
Available online
Permanent UK Resident
Premierline Business Insurance
Policies for
Tradesman & contractors, Shops & retailers, Offices, Surgeries & more
Cover options
Buildings, contents, business interruption, professional indemnity & more
Liability options
Public & employers' liability up to £10,000,000
Premierline works with some of the UK’s most trusted insurers. Compare and buy insurance online or alternatively, speak to an advisor over the phone for insurance recommendations based on your individual circumstances and requirements.
This is an insurance broker.
Available online
Permanent UK Resident
Prefer to Call? Contact us now on 0800 035 9662
Bionic Business Insurance
Policies for
Shops, Restaurants, Pubs and Hotels, Property Owners, Tradesmen and Construction, Offices & more
Cover options
Buildings, contents, legal expenses, business interruption, goods in transit and commercial property
Liability options
Public & employers' liability up to £10,000,000
Bionic works closely with a range of insurers to find cover that meets the unique needs of your business. We’ll help you understand exactly what your policy includes and translate it into simple language. No hidden extras. No jargon. Just quality cover.
Available online
Permanent UK Resident

Compare another type of business insurance

Why do you need public and employers' liability cover?

Public liability insurance is essential for any business, because it covers expensive claims made against you if third parties are injured by your work.

For example, if a passer-by is hurt or their property is damaged by your work tools.

You may also be legally required to get employers' liability cover if you employ:

  • Permanent and temporary paid staff

  • Contracted, casual or seasonal staff

  • Labour-only subcontractors

  • Interns or apprentices

  • Volunteers

  • Work experience placements

Here is more information about what insurance your business needs

How does cover work?

  • Public liability insurance covers injury, illness and death of third parties, or damage to their property. It only covers claims where you are at fault, like not keeping your business premises tidy, which causes a customer to trip over.

  • Employers' liability insurance covers injury, illness and the death of your employees while they are at work. You are legally required to have at least £5 million worth of cover if you have paid or voluntary staff working for you.

While you can get separate cover for public and employers' liability, it is usually cheaper to get a combined policy.

Here are the different types of business insurance explained

How to find the right policy

The right policy for you is one that offers the cover you need at the cheapest price. Use this comparison to get as many online quotes as possible to find the best policy.

Most policies offer £10 million cover for employers' liability, but you can choose different limits of cover for public liability. Insurers offer limits between £1 million and £5 million; what you need depends on how high risk your business activities are.

If you are unsure what level of cover is best for you, use this comparison to contact an insurance broker who can help you work out what you need.

Public and employers' liability FAQs

Explore business insurance guides

See more guides

What is business insurance?

Business insurance is essential if you run your own company, and you could be breaking the law without it. Here is how business insurance works.

Read More

How to insure your business

Whether you are a sole trader or you own a large company, business insurance is a must. Here is why you need insurance and how to get the right cover.

Read More

How to claim on your business insurance

If your business suffers a financial loss, your insurance could cover the cost. Here is what you need to know about making a claim on your business insurance.

Read More

Why compare business insurance with

By comparing business insurance you could save money on the policy. The best value business insurance will offer you the cover you need, at a price you can afford. Choose a cover plan from the best UK insurance companies and see the online discounts they offer.

Proud to be award winning

We have always aimed to provide the best possible services to bridge the gap between our users and our clients. Over the years, we have been thrilled to be recognised by various prestigious bodies and organisations for those efforts.