Finding cheap van insurance if you are under 25 can be difficult, because insurers tend to charge you more on average than older drivers.

Most insurance companies will point to the fact that, statistically speaking, younger drivers are more likely to have an accident and therefore make a claim.

Even if it seems expensive, van insurance is a legal requirement. So if you drive a van, you need to be insured.

However, there are ways you can keep the cost down and still get the best policy for you.

You could look for a smaller van or one with lower mileage. You could also save by taking out a policy that involves monitoring your driver, also known as black box insurance.

If you are not the main driver of the van, you could save money by being a named driver on the main driver's policy. You should only do this if you are not the main driver of the vehicle, otherwise you may void your cover.

Can young drivers get van insurance?

Yes, but not all insurers cover you if you are under a certain age. For example, some van insurance companies only offer policies to drivers over 21 or 25 years old.

Your age is not the only thing insurance companies will look at, though. They will also take into account personal circumstances such as your profession, your driving history and whether you have any criminal convictions.

How to get cheaper cover

Try these tips that could help you pay less for young driver van insurance:

  • Pay for your insurance upfront, rather than monthly, because most insurers charge you interest for paying in installments.

  • Add extra security, because some insurers charge less if you have things like immobilisers and alarms installed in your van.

  • Choose a higher excess, because most insurers reduce the cost if you are willing to pay more towards the cost of a claim.

  • Buy a van with a lower value and mileage. If you van is old, insurers will see it as more likely to break down and therefore you as more likely to make a claim.

  • Carry items of a lower value. Insurers will charge you more for your policy if you regularly carry valuable goods.

  • Shop around and compare as many quotes as possible to find the right policy at the cheapest price.

The van you drive also affects how much your insurance costs, so to keep your premiums as low as possible think about driving a small van with a less powerful engine.

What level of cover do I need?

Most motor insurance comes in one of three forms:

  • Comprehensive cover:This is the highest level of cover available and protects you, your vehicle and other motorists. You will be covered for damage to your vehicle (including fire and theft), damage you accidentally cause to other vehicles and most medical expenses.

  • Third party only:This is the legal minimum insurance required to drive in the UK. It covers damage to another person, their vehicle or their property. It does not cover any damage to your van.

  • Third party, fire and theft: This type of policy offers the same level of cover as third party, with the addition of any damage caused to your van by fire, theft or attempted theft.

When looking for the best priced policy, you should not assume a lower level of cover like third party will necessarily be cheaper than a comprehensive policy. Insurance companies will sometimes actually offer lower quotes for comprehensive cover.

This is because they know statistically high risk drivers choose lower levels of cover. Therefore it works out cheaper for them to offer a discounted comprehensive policy as generally safer drivers will buy it. So not only could it be cheaper for you, but comprehensive van insurance gives you much more protection.

If you use your van for commercial purposes, such as courier work, you may also need courier cover or a goods-in-transit policy.

What is commercial van insurance?

Commercial van insurance should protect your money if your vehicle suffers accidental damage, theft and fire. You can also get cover for:

Your tools: This protects the tools you use for work if they are lost or damaged by fire, theft or an accident.

Goods in transit: This covers any items you are carrying against loss, damage or theft while being transported in your van. Find out how goods in transit cover works here.

Multiple drivers: This means you can cover more than one person to drive your van. Some policies cover up to four drivers.

Trailers: This covers any trailer you attach to your van against damage, loss and theft.

You may need to pay extra to include these options, but some policies offer them as standard. Think about how you use your van to work out what cover options you need.