Most home insurance policies can cover flood damage, but if your home is in a flood risk area, or has been flooded before, it can be more difficult to find a policy.

Damage caused to your buildings and contents by flooding can be very expensive to put right, so some insurers will not cover homes at risk from flood damage.

This comparison only shows insurance companies and brokers that can cover homes at risk or with a history of flood damage.

How to get a quote

Use this comparison to find an specialist insurer that can protect your property, and get a quote by visiting their website.

Some ask you to complete a contact form so they can get back to you to discuss your cover. Others let you get a quote online, but you need to answer questions about your property, like:

  • Is your home within 200 metres of any rivers, streams or other bodies of water?

  • If it is, how far from the water is your home (in meters or feet)?

  • How high above the water line is your property?

If your home has flooded in the past, you may be asked to confirm:

  • The date your home flooded

  • If your buildings were affected

  • The cause of the flood

  • The depth of the flood water

  • What precautions have been taken since, e.g. installing antiflood barriers or sandbags

The answers you give to these questions may determine whether or not the insurer can cover you, or what premium they charge you.

You should compare as many quotes as possible to find the best cover for you at the cheapest price.

Flood RE could help

Flood RE is a scheme designed to help people living in flood risk areas find affordable home insurance.

Insurers pay into a collective fund that can help keep policies cheaper. You can find insurers that are part of the Flood RE scheme here.

Here is more information on how Flood RE works, including which homes are eligible.

Flood insurance FAQs


How can I find out if my home is at risk from flooding?


Look at a flood map to see if your home is in a flood risk area, or visit the GOV.UK website to find out if you are at risk from flooding.


Why do some insurers not cover flood risk properties?


If your home is damaged by flooding the repair bills for your buildings and contents can be huge, so some insurers are not willing to cover the risk.


Can I get cover if my home has flooded before?


Yes, but it may be more expensive if you have made a claim for damage previously. Use this comparison to find a policy that can protect your home.


What can flood insurance cover?


It can cover your buildings and contents. This comparison shows what cover each insurer offers, and what properties they can protect.


How do I work out the rebuild value of my home?


You can pay a chartered surveyor for an accurate value, or use the free Association of British Insurers (ABI) rebuild calculator for an estimate.

About our home insurance comparison


Who do we include in this comparison?


We include flood insurance available from our panel of insurers and brokers. They are all regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Here is more information about how our website works.


How do we make money from our comparison?


We have commercial agreements with some of the companies in this comparison and get paid commission if we help you take out one of their products or services. Find out more here.

You do not pay any extra and the deal you get is not affected.