Contents insurance for renters

With renters' insurance, UK providers can cover your contents and protect your belongings.

or click here to find contents insurance

Powered By

Get quotes from these home insurance providers and more.


Do you need contents insurance for renters?

Yes, even if you do not own your home, you should get tenants' insurance, UK wide, to protect your belongings. This can be especially valuable if you have furnished the property yourself.

Insurance for renters will protect your contents against theft, loss or damage while you are living in your rented home.

Get as many online quotes as possible, so you can find the cover you need at the cheapest price.

If you are a landlord, you can compare landlord contents insurance here.

Find out what contents insurance can cover

How much is renters' insurance

UK providers charge, on average, £135, according to the Association of British Insurers (ABI). But the price of your contents insurance will vary depending on:

  • Your level of cover, e.g. accidental damage sometimes costs more

  • The value of things you want to insure

  • Your address, e.g. postcodes with a high crime rate usually cost more

  • The security at your rented home, e.g. burglar alarms can reduce your premium

  • If you have a no claims discount

Paying for your policy in full can help save you money, as insurers charge interest for paying monthly. You can also save if you buy online.

Here are 8 ways to cut the cost of your home insurance

What cover should you get?

Work out how much your belongings are worth, then compare online quotes to get the policy you need at the cheapest price.

Check the maximum contents cover in this comparison, to find a policy that offers protection for all of your belongings. You should also consider:

Personal possessions coverThis protects things like jewellery and gadgets, while they are away from your home. Check the cover per valuable is enough to replace the most expensive item you own.
New for old coverThis provides a brand new replacement if your contents are damaged, lost or stolen. If the exact item is not available, your insurer will pay for you to get a similar model of the same value.
Tenants' liabilityThis covers repair or replacement costs if you accidentally damage your rental property, e.g. you spill wine on the carpet. Most renters policies include this as standard, but check your documents to be sure.

Contents insurance for renters FAQs

Last updated: 13 October, 2021

Get home insurance quotes

Compare quotes to protect your home with the right cover.

Explore Home insurance guides

See more guides

man outside working on laptop

How to manage your home insurance policy

Once you have insured your home, you need to keep your cover up to date to make sure it stays valid. Here is how you can manage your home insurance policy.

Read More
2 Scottish houses by a road. One house has a white door and the other has a red door.

What home insurance do you need?

Whether you live in a flat or a mansion, getting the right home insurance policy is essential. Here is how to find the best cover for your property.

Read More
Empty road through a village, with small houses on either side of the road.

How to insure your second home

If you own a second home in the UK, you may need specific home insurance to protect it. Here is how to cover your second home.

Read More

Why compare home insurance with

By comparing home insurance, you could save money on the policy. The best value Home insurance will offer the cover to your home and content. Choose a cover plan from the best UK home insurance companies and see the online discounts they offer.

Proud to be award winning

We have always aimed to provide the best possible services to bridge the gap between our users and our clients. Over the years, we have been thrilled to be recognised by various prestigious bodies and organisations for those efforts.

Home Insurance comparison is provided by which is a trading name of Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office; Greyfriars House, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff, CF10 3AL, registered in England and Wales 03857130. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites. By using this system you are also agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. is an intermediary and receives a percentage of the commission if you decide to buy through us.