To find the best USA travel cover, you need to:

  • Decide what cover you want

  • Pick the policy that offers what you need at the cheapest price

Which policy is best for you?

The type of travel insurance you need depends on how often you travel between the UK and the US:

  • Single trip policies cover you for one trip, for a set time frame (e.g. 90 days)

  • Annual policies cover you for multiple trips, over 12 months

Here is how to decide if you should get a single trip or annual travel policy.

You then need to decide what protection you want from your travel policy, like:

  • Medical insurance: This comes as standard with travel policies, and pays out if you are ill or injured while on holiday. Hospital bills are high in America, so you should consider medical expenses cover as a minimum.

  • Cancellation cover: This covers the cost of your holiday if you have to cancel it, or cut your trip short, e.g. if you or a family member are seriously ill or injured. Here is more information about cancellation cover.

  • Personal belongings and baggage: This covers accidental loss, theft or damage of your personal possessions while you are in the US. Check that the single item limit is enough to cover expensive items, like cameras or jewellery.

How much is travel insurance to the USA?

The cost of your US travel insurance is based on:

The high cost of medical treatment in the US also affects the price of your travel policy. Compare policies to find the cover you need for the cheapest price before jetting off to the USA.

If you have a pre-existing condition, you can still get a quote through These conditions could include cancer, stroke, serious heart, respiratory and terminal conditions.

Some insurers might not cover you if you already have a serious medical condition, or if you have a number of conditions. Others might only offer insurance at a much higher price. If you're unable to find suitable cover, the Money and Pension Service (MaPS) has also set up a directory of insurers willing to cover customers with pre-existing medical conditions.

You can contact the Money and Pensions Service (MaPS) or you can telephone 0800 138 7777.