How to make a travel insurance claim

If something goes wrong on your travels, you may need to claim on your travel insurance policy. This step by step guide explains how to go about it.

Share this guide
Young travel with backpack sitting by train tracks

To increase your chances of making a successful travel insurance claim, you need to understand what you can claim for and the information you will need to provide. This guide explains it all.

What can you claim for?

Most travel insurance policies will cover you for claims relating to:

  • Lost or stolen baggage

  • Medical expenses including repatriation

  • Cancellation, or if your trip is cut short

  • Costs caused by delays

  • Lost or stolen possessions or cash

You can find out more about what is covered under a travel insurance policy here.

What is travel insurance?

How do you make a travel insurance claim? 

If you need to make a travel insurance claim, here are the steps you’ll need to follow:

  • Report any crime to the local police before you make your claim and note down the incident number. You should do this if your wallet or passport has been stolen for example

  • Contact your insurer as soon as possible. Most provide a 24/7 emergency helpline you can call, which will be on your policy document

  • Keep receipts and record any evidence that may be needed to process your claim. For example, this could include the receipts for any items stolen, or medical certificates if you have gone to hospital

Your insurer will likely send you a claims form to complete and return with supporting evidence like photos and receipts.

Most insurers will give you 31 days to make a claim. However, you should try to claim as soon as possible, especially for medical expenses.

Precisely what you will need to make your travel insurance claim will be slightly different depending on what you are claiming for:

Delayed flights

If your flight has been delayed for more than a set period (often 12 hours), you can usually claim for additional costs incurred like food and accommodation.

You will need to keep the receipts for anything you want to claim back, for example, a hotel room and meals. You will also need a letter from the airline confirming the delay, including the reason and duration.

Lost baggage

Your lost baggage should be covered by your airline, but you can also claim through your insurance policy if not. To process a lost baggage claim most insurers will ask that you:

  • Get a Property Irregularity Report from the airline

  • Give written confirmation of the claim to the airline

  • Keep all travel tickets and tags and submit them

  • Provide receipts or proof of ownership of the lost items

If you need to buy replacement clothes, toiletries or medication, make sure you keep any receipts to reclaim the cost from your insurer.

Cancellation or curtailment

If you have to cancel your trip before you go or cut your holiday short, your travel insurance policy should cover the costs you incur.

However, you will only be covered if you cancel for a reason included in your policy. For example, if:

  • You or a travelling companion or relative becomes ill or suffers an injury

  • A travelling companion or relative dies

  • You have been made redundant

  • You have to go to court or have been called for jury duty

Here is exactly what is covered if you need to cancel your holiday.

Medical expenses

If you need medical assistance following an injury or illness, you should make your insurance claim as soon as you can. If possible, contact your insurer to agree to treatment before it is carried out.

If you are travelling with someone else, make sure they have copies of your details, including your policy number and insurer’s contact details, so they can make a claim if you are unable to.

If you have to pay upfront for any treatment, make sure you get a receipt and claim the cost back when you return.

Theft of personal items

You must contact the police straight away if you have anything stolen. You will typically need a police report within the first 24 hours for you to be able to make a claim.

It can speed up your claim if you have evidence of the items stolen, so make sure you have the receipts or have taken photos of the items before you travel.

Do you have to pay an excess?

Yes, for most claims, you will need to pay an excess of between £50 and £100.

These include claims for:

  • Medical expenses

  • Cancellation, or cutting your holiday short

  • Lost or stolen possessions

  • Personal liability

An excess means you will have to pay the first part of any of the above claims. If you are receiving a lump sum, the amount you receive will be minus the excess amount. 

For example, if you claim for a cancelled holiday that cost £2,000 and the excess is £100, you will receive £1,900 from your insurer.

You may be given the option of waiving the excess when you buy your policy, but this will mean your cover will cost more.

Check the terms and conditions of your policy carefully as you may be charged a higher excess if you are over a certain age or travelling to a particular destination.

What if your claim is denied?

It’s essential to be aware of exclusions in your travel insurance policy before making a claim to reduce the risk of your claim being rejected. However, if you think your claim has wrongly been declined, you can also make an official complaint.

Look out for exclusions

Here are some of the most common exclusions that could result in a rejected claim: 

  • Drinking too much: If you are injured whilst under the influence of alcohol your insurance company may reject your claim. Many policies will exclude claims where excessive alcohol consumption is involved, so be careful when drinking on holiday

  • Not taking 'reasonable care': Your insurer will not pay out if it believes you have not taken good care of your possessions. For example, if you leave your bags unattended and they are stolen, you may not be covered

  • Not getting your vaccinations: Make sure you get any vaccinations that are recommended for your destination. For example, if you contract malaria while on holiday but did not take any anti-malarial medication, your insurer could reject your claim

Make a complaint

If your claim has been denied, but you have checked your policy and still feel your claim is valid, you should contact your insurer and make a formal complaint.

If your insurer does not reverse its decision, you can refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman, who will independently assess your claim.

Here is a more detailed look at the best ways to complain to your insurer.

How to complain about financial services.

If you have a pre-existing condition, you can still get a quote through These conditions could include cancer, stroke, serious heart, respiratory and terminal conditions.
Some insurers might not cover you if you already have a serious medical condition, or if you have a number of conditions. Others might only offer insurance at a much higher price. If you're unable to find suitable cover, the Money and Pension Service (MaPS) has also set up a directory of insurers willing to cover customers with pre-existing medical conditions.
You can contact the Money and Pensions Service (MaPS) or you can telephone 0800 138 7777.

Make sure you get the best possible cover when you go away by comparing travel insurance deals. You can find the cover you need at the right price whatever your travel plans.

About Matt Fernell

View Matt Fernell's full biography here or visit the press centre for our latest news.