What home insurance do students need?

If you are a student you might have expensive belongings that you need to protect, whether you in live in halls or with friends. Here is how to get the right student home cover.

Share this guide
students watching tv on sofa

What is student home insurance?

It is a policy designed for students living away from home in rented accommodation that can protect personal belongings against loss, theft or damage.

Student home insurance only covers your contents, and does not include buildings insurance. This is because your landlord is responsible for insuring the building you are renting against damage.

Here is everything a contents insurance policy should cover.

Compare student contents insurance here

Who can get it?

Most insurers set certain rules you have to meet to get a student policy, including:

    You will be asked to confirm what university you are attending and how long your course is when you apply for a student contents insurance quote.

    Do you need it?

    You should consider getting a student contents insurance policy if you:

      If you share a property, each student may need their own separate policy, but some insurers will cover all occupants together.

      If you live at your family home while studying, you should be covered by your parents' home insurance policy. Check your family's home insurance policy because some can cover your belongings while you are at university, even if you do not live at home.

      Make sure the policy offers enough cover. If it does not, look at specialist student policies instead because they can give you more extensive protection.

      What does it cover?

      Student contents policies should protect your personal belongings against things like:

        Basic student contents policies cover your belongings including clothes, TV, books and other valuables.

        Work out how much your belongings are worth carefully. Some insurers can cover your contents up to a total of £15,000, but not all offer this much so only look at polices that can protect all of your things.

        This guide explains how to work out how to much your contents are worth so you get the right level of cover.

        Adding extra cover

        You need to add extra protection to some policies to cover specific items.

          Some insurers cover these things as standard, but you can get extra protection like higher cover limits when you add benefits to your policy for an added cost.

          Check for exclusions

          All student policies include some items they do not cover, or situations where your cover would not be valid. These are known as policy exclusions and include:

            You can find out what other common exclusions apply to contents insurance here.

            How to find the best student home insurance

            Think about what things you need to protect and then work out exactly how much they are worth, and make sure you find a policy that:

              Also look at the exclusions to make sure the policy will pay out if you need to make a claim.

              Once you know exactly what cover you need, you can compare student contents insurance policies here.

              Protect your home and belongings for less by comparing home insurance policies to cover a range of property types and individual circumstances.