If you have a second property you use for holidays, it needs different cover to your main home.

This is because it may be left empty for long periods which means it is more at risk from theft or damage. You also need specific cover if you rent the property out.

To find the best policy you need to think about:

  • What do you need it to cover?

  • Will you rent out your holiday home?

  • How often will your holiday home be empty?

What do you need it to cover?

Holiday home insurance offers the same cover as a standard policy, including:

Do not keep valuable items in your holiday home because they will be at greater risk of theft if the property is empty.

It can also give you extra protection specific to holiday homes:

  • Longer unoccupancy period: This covers your home when it is empty for more than 30 or 60 days. Some holiday home polices offer an unlimited period; this comparison shows the unoccupancy period each policy offers.

  • Travel to your property: This covers the cost of travelling to your overseas holiday home if there has been an emergency. This comparison shows which policies cover properties abroad, and you can find out how to insure an overseas property here.

Do you rent out your holiday home?

If you do, you need to think about:

  • Public liability insurance

  • Loss of rent or income cover

  • Employer's liability insurance, e.g. if you employ gardeners or cleaners

Some policies include this cover, but not all do so check the policy documents carefully before you buy. If they are not included, you may be able to add them to your policy at an extra cost.

Here is more about what cover you need if you want to rent out your holiday home.

Holiday home insurance FAQs


Do I need to have a holiday home insurance policy?


It is not a legal requirement, but if you have a mortgage your lender will insist you have buildings cover to protect their investment.


How long can I leave my holiday home empty?


It depends, but many insurers cover your property no matter how long it is empty for. This comparison shows the unoccupancy period each policy offers.


Can I insure my holiday home with a standard policy?


Not if it is left unoccupied for long periods, because most home insurance policies only cover an empty property for 30 or 60 days.


Can I cover different types of properties?


Yes, most holiday home policies can cover villas, chalets, apartments and static caravans in the UK or overseas.


What countries can I insure my holiday home in?


Holiday home insurers can cover most major European countries like France, Spain and Italy. Here is more about what countries you can get insured in.

About our home insurance comparison


Who do we include in this comparison?


We include holiday home insurance available from our panel of insurers and brokers. They are all regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Here is more information about how our website works.


How do we make money from our comparison?


We have commercial agreements with some of the companies in this comparison and get paid commission if we help you take out one of their products or services. Find out more here.

You do not pay any extra and the deal you get is not affected.