To find the right buildings cover for your home:

  1. Work out how much cover you need

  2. Think about whether you need a non standard policy

  3. Use this comparison to find the right policy at the best price

Work out how much cover you need

Your cover should be at least equal to the rebuild value of your home. This is how much it would cost to rebuild your home and is not the same as the market value.

This comparison shows the maximum buildings cover each insurer offers. Most insurance companies offer a set claims limit between 500,000 and unlimited.

Find a limit that matches your rebuild value, but avoid paying for more cover than you need.

Think about a specialist policy

Some properties need more cover than others, so you may need a specific policy if you live in:

  • A thatched home, because thatched roofs are more prone to fire, and can be expensive to repair.

  • A property with a flat roof, because they can be more susceptible to damage and give better access to thieves.

  • A listed property, because they are often hundreds of years old, and can cost more to repair and restore than standard homes.

  • A high net worth property, because they usually have high rebuild values, and some policies only cover homes with up to six bedrooms. This comparison shows how many bedrooms each insurer can cover.

Do you need buildings cover?

If your home is damaged or destroyed by fire or flood the repair costs to put it right could be huge.

Having the right buildings insurance policy in place can cover the costs for you, even if your home needs to be rebuilt from scratch.

You can buy buildings insurance on its own, or as part of a combined home insurance policy with contents cover.

Buildings insurance FAQs


Do I need to have buildings insurance?


If you have a mortgage it will probably be a condition of the loan that you have a buildings insurance policy in place to protect your lender's investment.


Can I buy buildings insurance on its own?


Yes, you can buy a standalone buildings insurance policy, or you can get it with contents cover in a combined home insurance policy.


Will buildings insurance cover my garage?


Yes, it can also cover any out buildings you own like sheds and garages. It can also cover things like footpaths, driveways and conservatories.


How do I work out the rebuild value of my home?


You can pay for a chartered surveyor for an accurate value, or use the free Association of British Insurers (ABI) rebuild calculator for an estimate.


How can I save on my buildings insurance?


Use this comparison to shop around to find the best deal, or read these eight tips to cheaper home insurance.

About our home insurance comparison


Who do we include in this comparison?


We include every insurer that offers buildings insurance policies in the UK. They are all regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Here is more information about how our website works.


How do we make money from our comparison?


We have commercial agreements with some of the companies in this comparison and get paid commission if we help you take out one of their products or services. Find out more here.

You do not pay any extra and the deal you get is not affected.