• >
  • Guides>
  • Who supplies water to your home?

Who supplies water to your home?

Dan Base photo

Written by Dan Base, Financial Content Writer

28 December 2018

If you have just moved into a new house, you will need to find out who provides your water to set up your account. Here is how to find out your water supplier.

Who is your water supplier?

You cannot switch your water supplier for one offering a better deal, like you can gas and electric or your broadband.

You will simply need to find out which water company supplies the area in which you live.

Then you can get an account set up and arrange how you will pay your bill - that way you will not risk having your water supply cut off.

If you have just moved in, you should be able to find out either from the previous owners, tenants or landlord.

How else can you find out who supplies your water?

If you do not have the contact details of your home's previous occupier, you can still find your supplier relatively easily.

  • If you live in Scotland, your water will be supplied by a public company, Scottish Water.

  • In Northern Ireland, water and sewerage services are provided by Northern Ireland Water, a company owned by the government.

  • If you live in England or Wales, your water will be supplied by one of 32 private companies. You can check the Consumer Council for Water's website or the Ofwat website to find out which water company supplies your area.

  • If you live on the border of two water areas, then you should contact the possible water companies directly for confirmation. A full list of contact details is available on the Ofwat website.

Consumer Council for Water's website

Ofwat's website

Who deals with your waste water?

Some companies supply the water to your home and collect the wastewater from your sinks and toilets.

Others only supply you with water - in these cases you will need to find the company that collect your waste water too.

What to do in an emergency

You should turn off your water at the stop tap and contact your water supplier as soon as possible. They may be able to fix the cause of the problem if they are responsible for the fault.

If your water company is not responsible, you will need to arrange repairs yourself:

  • If you rent your home, your landlord will need to arrange the necessary repairs following the leak. Contact your landlord or letting agency as soon as possible.

  • If you own your home, you will need to arrange for a plumber to fix the cause of the damage. You may be able to claim for the cost of repairs and resulting damage on your home insurance policy.

Home emergency cover could also help fix the immediate cause of the damage. You do not pay an excess, and a plumber will be sent to your home within an hour to fix the problem.

Compare home emergency insurance here

Can you save money on your water bill?

If your new property has a water meter, it is worth taking a reading and passing it on to the supplier as soon as you can. That way you can make sure your bills are accurate and you will not end up paying for water used by the previous occupiers.

If you want to cut your water bills, read this guide.

5 Easy Ways to Save Money on Your Water Bill

You may also like

  • 5 easy ways to save money on your water bill
  • The simple way to save £100s on your water bill