This comparison includes insurers who can provide commercial buildings and contents cover, along with other types of business insurance.

Use it to get as many online quotes as possible, so you can find the cover you need at the cheapest price.

How much will it cost?

The price of your commercial property insurance will depend on:

  • The size of your business

  • The rebuild cost of your business premises

  • How much contents, equipment and stock you need to insure

  • How many business locations you need to insure

Get the right cover for your premises

If you own your business premises, you can protect the building against:

  • Fire, lightning, explosion, and earthquake

  • Storm or flood

  • Escape of water

  • Damage caused by theft or attempted theft

  • Accidental damage

  • Riot, strikes, and malicious damage

  • Impact by aircraft or vehicle

You may need to give your insurer an estimated rebuild cost for your business premises. However, most insurers offer blanket cover, e.g. 2 million.

Protect your business contents

You can cover the cost of replacing your business contents if they are lost, damaged or stolen:

  • Fixtures and fittings: This can cover kitchen equipment, light fixtures, and interior decoration.

  • Equipment: This covers things like desks, chairs, computers, shelving, and card machines. It also covers tools and machinery.

  • Stock: This covers any goods sold or stored at your business premises. It can also cover seasonal increases, like higher stock levels over Christmas.

  • Goods in transit: This covers stock and equipment while it is taken from one location to another. For example, goods being delivered to a client.

You can also include personal possessions, to cover staff or clients' belongings.

Take an inventory of everything you own in connection with your business, so you can get the right cover for your commercial contents.

What else do you need?

You can add other types of business insurance to your commercial property policy:

  • Public liability, which covers injury, illness or death to third parties caused by your work

  • Employers' liability, which covers injury, illness or death to employees

  • Business interruption, which covers your income if you are unable to trade

Here is more about what these types of insurance can cover and how to find the right policy.

Commercial property insurance FAQs


Do I legally need commercial property insurance?


No, but it could provide you with essential cover for your business premises and its contents.


Can I get cover if my business premises is unoccupied?


You need specialist unoccupied insurance if your property is empty for more than 30 days. Speak to an insurance broker to get the right cover.


Can I cover my stock?


Yes, if you select the correct level of cover. Take an inventory of your stock, so you can give an accurate estimate to your insurer.


Do I need to insure the building if I rent it?


Your landlord is usually responsible for this, but you may need to insure the building if it is a condition of your tenancy agreement.


Do I need insurance if I run my business from home?


Yes, standard home insurance will not cover you if you run a business from home. You may also need cover for equipment, tools and stock kept at home.