To get the best cover for your buy to let property, you need to:

  1. Decide what cover you need

  2. Compare landlord insurance quotes online

  3. Pick a policy that offers what you need for the cheapest price

What cover do you need?

You usually need buildings insurance as part of your mortgage agreement, so you should at least cover the rebuild cost of your property. The other cover you need depends on:

  • If your property is furnished: You should include contents insurance if you have sofas, white goods or moveable furniture. Most landlord policies include some cover as standard, e.g. 50,000, but make sure this covers replacement costs.

  • How many properties you own: Most buy to let insurers offer portfolio cover, where you can insure several properties on one policy. This is usually cheaper than taking out separate cover, and you only have one renewal date to remember.

  • The type of tenants you let to: You may want to include accidental damage cover if you rent to tenants with young children, or students. Some insurers offer this in the price of the policy, but others charge extra to add it.

  • How much you rely on your rental income: If you use your rent to pay your mortgage or as your main source of income, you should consider rent guarantee. This covers the cost of your rental income if your tenant defaults, and the cost to evict them.

How to compare quotes

Once you have quotes that offer the cover you need, choose the best one by comparing:

  • The cost of the policy, which can be paid in full or split over monthly payments

  • The policy excess, which is the amount you have to pay if you claim

Cheap landlord insurance may come with a high excess, which would mean you would pay more in the long run if you had to claim.

Avoid just choosing the cheapest policy, and make sure you can afford the cost of claiming before you take out cover.

How else can you save money?

  • Buy online: Most insurers offer discounts if you take out cover via their website. Once you have found the right policy, follow the link in this comparison to get cover online.

  • Pick a higher excess: This will save you money on your premium, but make sure you can afford to pay this if you need to claim.

  • Pay for your policy annually: Monthly direct debit payments are more manageable, but they cost you more in the long run because insurers charge interest.

Buy to let insurance FAQs


Can I insure more than one property on the same policy?


Yes, most insurers offer discounts if you cover several properties with them.


Am I covered if my property is unoccupied?


No, if your property is empty for more than 30 days, you will not be covered. Speak to a broker about specialist unoccupied property insurance.


Are missed rental payments covered?


Yes, if you have rent guarantee cover, you can claim if your tenants do not pay their rent. Some policies include this, but you may be charged extra.


Can my tenants make a claim on my policy?


Yes, if you list them as named persons on your policy, they can claim in the event of emergency. E.g. if there is a fire and you are out of the country.


Do I need a buy to let mortgage to rent out my home?


Yes, you cannot let your property if you have a standard mortgage. You will need to get a specialist buy to let mortgage.

About our landlord insurance comparison


Who do we include in this comparison?


We include landlord insurance policies from our panel of direct insurers and brokers, who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Here is more information about how our website works.


How do we make money from our comparison?


We have commercial agreements with some of the companies in this comparison and get paid commission if we help you take out one of their products or services. Find out more here.

You do not pay any extra and it does not affect the deal you get.