Compare landlord liability insurance

You could avoid an expensive bill with the right public liability insurance. Compare landlord policies from these insurers to make sure you are protected if a claim is made against you.

4 results found, sorted by affiliated products first. How we order our comparisons. Commission earned affects the table's sort order.
Premierline Direct Landlord Insurance
Maximum cover
Buildings & contents: £20,000,000
Cover options
Landlord liability up to £10,000,000 & accidental damage
Minimum excess
Buildings & contents: £100
Premierline works with some of the UK’s most trusted insurers. Compare and buy insurance online or alternatively, speak to an advisor over the phone for insurance recommendations based on your individual circumstances and requirements.
This is an insurance broker.
Permanent UK Resident
The Home Insurer Landlord Insurance
Maximum cover
Buildings: Unlimited, Contents: £100,000
Cover options
Landlord liability up to £5,000,000 & accidental damage
Minimum excess
Buildings & contents: £100
The Home Insurer has access to a wide panel of landlord insurers. Whether you need single property, unoccupied, renovation, any type of tenant, portfolios of properties or block of flats, The Home Insurer has a range of Defaqto rated policies to offer.
This is an insurance broker.
Permanent UK Resident

Compare another type of landlord insurance

Do you need landlord liability insurance?

If your tenants are injured or their belongings are damaged while they live at your rental property, they could take legal action against you and claim compensation.

Landlord liability insurance can cover the cost of these expensive claims and offer you valuable legal help.

What does it cover?

It covers claims made by your tenants for injury or damage to belongings if your property is unsafe. For example, if a tenant trips on loose carpet and falls.

A landlord liability policy can cover:

  • The cost of compensation awarded to your tenants

  • Your legal costs

  • Your tenants' legal costs, if you are found to be at fault

Why do you need it?

If your tenant takes legal action against you and a court rules in their favour, it could cost you thousands of pounds in compensation and legal fees.

You can pick one of the following landlord liability limits:

  • £1 million

  • £2 million

  • £5 million

£1 million is usually enough, but pick a higher limit if you let several properties or if your managing agent needs you to have a set amount of cover.

Here is how to choose the right landlord insurance

How to find cover

Get as many quotes from different insurers as possible, so you can compare cover options and find the policy you need at the cheapest price.

Use this comparison to find the best landlord liability insurance for you. Check that you can afford the excess on the policy, as this could be as much as £500 depending on what cover you need.

Here is how to save money on your landlord insurance.

Landlord liability insurance FAQs

Will liability be included with my landlord insurance policy?

Yes, most landlord insurance policies include liability cover as standard. You will have the option to choose your cover limit, usually up to £5 million.

What if my tenants have an accident that is not my fault?

Your tenants can only take legal action if you fail to maintain or repair the property. Your insurer can advise you if your tenants have a valid claim.

How many times can I claim on my landlord liability policy?

You can claim as often as you need to, as long as you do not exceed the limit of liability, for example £1 million.

Can I claim after my landlord liability insurance has expired?

Yes, if previous tenants take legal action after your policy has expired, you can still claim as long as the incident happened during your period of insurance.

Do I have to pay an excess?

Yes, you have to pay a fixed amount towards each claim. This could be as much as £500, so check your quote for details before you buy your policy.

How can I pay for my policy?

You can pay monthly, or in full with a debit or credit card, cheque, or bank transfer. Paying monthly may cost more, so ask your insurer for details.

About our landlord insurance comparison

Who do we include in this comparison?

We include landlord insurance policies from our panel of direct insurers and brokers, who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Here is more information about how our website works.

How do we make money from our comparison?

We have commercial agreements with some of the companies in this comparison and get paid commission if we help you take out one of their products or services. Find out more here.

You do not pay any extra and it does not affect the deal you get.