Compare unoccupied house insurance

Don’t leave your property unprotected. Compare providers and get quotes for unoccupied home insurance in less than five minutes.

  • Compare quotes from industry leading providers
  • Get personalised insurance quotes in less than five minutes
  • Protect your property against damage and burglary when it is empty

or click here to find unoccupied house insurance

Powered By

Compare home insurance from leading providers

You'll only find results from genuine companies. Our data experts check each company before we add them to our comparisons.

Hasting Direct
More than logo
Legal General logo

How to get a home insurance quote


Enter your details

Get personalised home insurance quotes in minutes by providing us with a few details such as name and contact information.


Compare and choose a policy

When choosing unoccupied house insurance, you should think about whether the policy length matches how long the property will be empty for.


Apply and insure

Once you have selected the policy that is right for you, just apply and start protecting your property.

Last updated: 2 May 2022

What is unoccupied home insurance?

Unoccupied home insurance covers your property against damage and burglary when it’s empty.

You might leave your property vacant if:

  • you’re renovating your property, but not living in it

  • you’re a landlord between tenants

  • you’re selling your property but have already moved into a new home

Do I need unoccupied home insurance?

That depends. Most standard home insurance policies cover an empty property for 30 or 60 days, depending on the insurer and policy. If you’re leaving your property empty for a longer period of time, an unoccupied property policy could offer significant peace of mind. 

How unoccupied home insurance works

empty house

What kind of properties can I cover?

An unoccupied home could be any of the following:

  • A holiday home you only visit a few times a year. In that case, you may need a specialist holiday home policy, especially if you rent it out. This can give you more specialised cover for your situation

  • A house you’ve inherited that will need cover before it’s sold. If the sale will take a while, a standard unoccupied home policy might be the best option

  • A property you’re renovating but have yet to move into. If you’re working on a property, you should consider a home renovation policy to cover any potential damage

  • Somewhere you stay for work. If you work far away from your main home and use a second property to stay in during the week, you should consider unoccupied home insurance

Why cover an empty property?

Even minor issues can quickly escalate if there’s nobody at the property to raise the alarm. These leave unoccupied homes at greater risk of certain types of damage than occupied ones. These risks can include:

Theft and vandalism

Thieves and vandals target properties they know are unoccupied. Make sure any contents you keep in the property are covered against theft, and your building is covered against damage caused by vandalism.

Extensive fire, flood or storm damage

There will be nobody at the property to limit the damage or get help. Some policies exclude water damage so check the policy before you buy.

Squatter damage

When no one is around, people can break in and stay at the property. Unoccupied home insurance may provide legal cover to help have squatters removed.

Check your policy documents to make sure you’re covered for any risks associated with your property being empty. 

If your property is being renovated, you may need extra cover. Find home renovation insurance here.

How long do I need cover for?

It depends on how long your property will be empty. You can usually choose a policy term of either:

  • three months

  • six months

  • nine months

  • one year

Avoid paying for cover you don’t need by choosing a policy length that best matches the period your property will be empty.

The additional risks associated with empty properties mean unoccupied home insurance is generally more expensive than standard cover.

hand locking door

Securing your property

Most unoccupied home insurance providers want to know the condition of the property before they offer you cover. 

This can mean that you may be unable to find a policy if your property is in a poor state of repair. This might include:

  • boarded-up entrances

  • broken windows

  • roof damage

Most unoccupied home insurance providers require you ensure the property is fitted with effective security devices, usually burglar alarms and high-quality locks on doors and windows.

You may also need to make sure the pipes don’t freeze and burst, which can be achieved by simply putting the heating on a timer. Failing to take these precautions may impact whether your unoccupied house insurance provider agrees to make a payment if you make a claim.

Unoccupied house insurance FAQs

Get home insurance quotes

Compare quotes to protect your home with the right cover.

Explore Home insurance guides

See more guides

man outside working on laptop

How to manage your home insurance policy

Once you have insured your home, you need to keep your cover up to date to make sure it stays valid. Here is how you can manage your home insurance policy.

Read More
2 Scottish houses by a road. One house has a white door and the other has a red door.

What home insurance do you need?

Whether you live in a flat or a mansion, getting the right home insurance policy is essential. Here is how to find the best cover for your property.

Read More
Empty road through a village, with small houses on either side of the road.

How to insure your second home

If you own a second home in the UK, you may need specific home insurance to protect it. Here is how to cover your second home.

Read More

Why compare home insurance with

By comparing home insurance, you could save money on the policy. The best value Home insurance will offer the cover to your home and content. Choose a cover plan from the best UK home insurance companies and see the online discounts they offer.

Proud to be award winning

We have always aimed to provide the best possible services to bridge the gap between our users and our clients. Over the years, we have been thrilled to be recognised by various prestigious bodies and organisations for those efforts.

stevie award
WMA 2021 Logo-768x632
nba logo
logo dma
ecommerce awards

Home Insurance comparison is provided by which is a trading name of Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office; Greyfriars House, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff, CF10 3AL, registered in England and Wales 03857130. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites. By using this system you are also agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. is an intermediary and receives a percentage of the commission if you decide to buy through us.