There are several insurers that specialise in covering underpinned homes. This comparison includes insurers and brokers that could cover your underpinned property.

Underpinned properties are seen as high risk by insurers because it shows your house has a history of subsidence damage, which can cost a lot to repair.

If your home is at risk from subsidence but has not been damaged, you can compare subsidence home insurance here.

How to get unpinned home insurance

When you get a quote you will be asked questions about your property and the reasons for the underpinning, including:

  • When was your property underpinned?

  • What was the cause of the subsidence or ground movement?

  • How much of the property was underpinned?

  • Was the work carried out following an insurance claim?

  • Do you have a certificate that proves the property is secure?

If the insurer can cover your property, your premium will be affected on the answers you give to these questions.

If you are not honest about the condition of your property, your insurer may not pay out when you need to claim.

If you do find a policy, some insurers set a much higher excess amount for subsidence claims, for example 2,500 compared to 1,000 for a standard policy.

What if you cannot get cover?

If you still struggle to find a policy for your underpinned property you may be able to arrange cover with subsidence excluded.

However, this means you will be unable to claim for any subsidence damage, but you get all the other protection offered by a home insurance policy.

Underpinned house insurance FAQs


Can I switch policy if my home has been underpinned?


Yes, use this comparison to find a new policy that can cover your underpinned home.


Will I have to pay a higher excess for subsidence claims?


Most underpinned home policies set a higher excess for subsidence claims, for example 2,500 compared to 1,000 for standard home insurance.


Do I have to declare if my home was underpinned?


Yes, you must inform the insurer, even if the work was carried out a long time ago because your home could be at risk from damage in the future.

About our home insurance comparison


Who do we include in this comparison?


We include underpinned home insurance available from our panel of insurers and brokers. They are all regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Here is more information about how our website works.


How do we make money from our comparison?


We have commercial agreements with some of the companies in this comparison and get paid commission if we help you take out one of their products or services. Find out more here.

You do not pay any extra and the deal you get is not affected.