Most home insurance policies cover damage caused by subsidence, but only if your home has not suffered from it before.

Subsidence is when the ground beneath your home moves, causing it to sink.

Some insurance companies will not cover your home if it has a history of subsidence, or if you live in an area that is at risk.

Look for policies that can protect your property against the costs of repairs to your building or damage to your contents caused by subsidence.

Check the excess

When you compare policies check what excess you have to pay if you claim for subsidence, because it is often higher than the standard excess.

For example, some policies set an excess of £1,000 which you have to pay in the event of subsidence, compared to £200 for any other claim.

Insurers set a higher excess to offset the cost because subsidence claims can be very expensive. You can find out more about home insurance excess here.

Look at what is not covered

Read each policy carefully when looking for cover to see what is excluded from your policy.

For example, most policies will not cover any subsidence damage that is caused by:

  • Escaped water or oil from fixed water or heating systems

  • Normal bedding down of new buildings

  • River or coastal soil erosion

  • Any structural changes you make to your home

Most policies cover subsidence damage to your garden, but only if your buildings have been damaged at the same time.

Finding cover if you have a history of subsidence

If your home has suffered subsidence damage in the past it will be harder to find a policy that can cover your property.

You can find out more about getting a home insurance policy if your home has a history of subsidence damage here.