If you are carrying out renovation works on your home, you may need specific insurance to protect it.

Most standard policies will not cover major renovation works, because they increase the chances of something going wrong and you needing to make a claim.

You usually need separate cover for:

  • Damage to your building and contents

  • Theft of your contents and building materials

  • Personal accidents

Ask your existing home insurer if they can cover the work before you start. If they cannot, use this comparison to find a policy that can insure your house during renovation works.

Do you need home renovation insurance?

You may need a specialist policy if:

  • The works mean your home will not be lived in for more than 30 or 60 days

  • The works are extensive; some standard policies can cover minor refurbishments

  • There will be expensive equipment and materials kept at the property

Once the work has been completed, most renovation insurance policies can continue to cover your home, but you could get a better policy by comparing standard home insurance.

What does is cover?

  • Unoccupied property cover: This covers your home for more than the 30 or 60 days offered by standard policies, because large scale renovations may mean you are unable to live in the property while works are being carried out.

  • Public liability cover: This covers you if someone is injured while at your property, for example if scaffolding falls and hits someone. It covers the cost of any legal or compensation claims they make against you.

  • Alternative accommodation: This covers the cost of living somewhere else if damage caused by the building works means you are unable to live in your property.

  • Building material and equipment cover: This covers the materials and equipment kept at the property, including items that have not yet been fitted like kitchen units.

Most policies can cover renovations to listed buildings, as long as you have consent from your local planning authority. This comparison shows which grade of listed building each insurer can cover.

Renovation home insurance FAQs


Will my home insurance policy cover renovations?


It depends on the level of work, but most policies only cover redecoration and DIY. Use this comparison to find a policy that can cover your renovations.


What renovations can I cover?


Most renovation policies cover major works like extensions or conversions. It can also protect you if you are refitting your bathroom or kitchen.


Can I cover my contents while my property is being renovated?


Yes, you can include contents cover, and some policies protect any belongings you have storage will the works are being carried out.


Will I be covered if I do the works myself?


Yes, but make sure your policy has public liability cover in place. If you employ a contractor they should have their own liability insurance.

About our home insurance comparison


Who do we include in this comparison?


We include home renovation insurance available from our panel of insurers and brokers. They are all regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Here is more information about how our website works.


How do we make money from our comparison?


We have commercial agreements with some of the companies in this comparison and get paid commission if we help you take out one of their products or services. Find out more here.

You do not pay any extra and the deal you get is not affected.