Salman Haqqi personal finance expert at, said: "As soon as the FCO issues warnings against all 'non-essential' travel to a specific country or region, your tour operator and airline should offer you an alternative trip or a full refund.

"If you do have future travel to China already booked, you should contact your operator or airline straight away to seek guidance on their current policy, as it may change over the coming days and weeks.

"Most travel insurance policies should cover you for this issue but make sure to check with your provider as soon as possible. If you booked your holiday on your credit card, you will be covered under Section 75 protection for costs from 300 to 30,000."

FCO advice: The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to Hubei Province due to the ongoing novel coronavirus outbreak. If you're in this area and able to leave, you should do so.

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to the rest of mainland China (not including Hong Kong and Macao). The Chinese government continue to impose further restrictions on movement within China in response to the coronavirus outbreak. It may become harder over the coming weeks for those who wish to leave China to do so. If you feel that you may want to leave China soon, you should consider making plans to do so before any further restrictions may be imposed.