How to claim on your home insurance policy

If your home is damaged or burgled it can cost thousands to put right, but your home insurance could cover the cost. Here is how to make a home insurance claim.

Share this guide
Woman working at home

What can you claim for?

This will depend on what policy you have, but you should be able to claim for:

  • Damage caused by fire, flooding or storms

  • Theft, including damage caused by break-ins

  • Subsidence

  • Accidental damage

There are two parts to a home insurance policy; contents cover and buildings cover.

What you can claim for will depend on whether you have buildings, contents or combined home insurance.

Here is what contents insurance covers

Here is what buildings insurance covers

How to make a claim

If you suffer loss or damage that is covered under your policy, you should:

  • Report any crime to the police before you make your claim and take a note of the incident number they give you, for example if you have been burgled.

  • Call your insurer on their claims line, which will be on your policy document. Most operate 24 hours a day, and you will need your policy number to hand.

  • Tell them about your claim, including as much information as possible and details of any damage or loss.

Some insurers will then send you a claims form to complete and return to them with any supporting documents they ask for before your claim can be processed.

If your home has been damaged and needs repairs, contact your insurer before arranging any work so they can agree to it.

If it is an emergency and you need immediate repairs, they should reimburse you the cost, but make sure you keep any receipts you receive for the work.

What evidence will you need to provide?

You may be asked to provide receipts as proof of purchase for any items you are claiming for. For example, if you have been burgled and need to claim to replace your stolen TV.

If you do not have your receipts you might be able to use:

  • Credit or debit card statements that show the purchase

  • Photographs showing the item in your home

Take photographs of any damage you have suffered to support your claim. This can also help your insurer work out how much any repairs should cost.

If you have suffered building damage they may ask for estimates from builders or tradesmen for the work that needs to be carried out.

If the damage is extensive your insurer may send a loss adjuster to your home to assess the damage and work out how much the claim is worth and what repairs are needed.

How long will your claim take?

Do you have to pay an excess?

Yes, most insurers will set a policy excess that you have to pay towards any claim.

You may be able to change the value of the excess, but a lower amount will mean you are charged a higher premium. If you choose to pay a higher excess when you claim it could make your cover cheaper.

Most will set an excess of around £200, but you might be able to choose to pay as little as £50.

Some claims will come with a higher compulsory excess that you cannot change, for example:

  • Subsidence claims can come with an excess of £1,000

  • Escape of water claims can come with an excess of £350

This is because these claims can be expensive, so your insurer charges you more to reduce the amount they have to pay out.

How will your claim be settled?

Depending on what you are claiming for, your insurer may:

  • Arrange for one of their partnered builders to carry out the necessary repairs to your property and cover the cost, less the excess

  • Send you a lump sum to cover the cost of the claim, less the excess, to your bank account or by cheque

What if your claim is declined?

Look out for exclusions

Check the policy documents carefully before you make a claim to make sure you are covered. If you are not sure, your insurer should be able to tell you when you call.

Here are some of the common exclusions that could mean your claim is rejected:

  • Your home has been left empty: If your home has been unoccupied for 30 days or more, your claim may be rejected. Here is how to insure an unoccupied home.

  • Wear and tear: Most home insurance policies will not cover damage to your buildings or contents caused by gradual wear and tear over time. For example, paint erosion on outside walls.

  • Deliberate damage: If you, or anyone living in your home, causes any damage to your building or contents on purpose you will not be able to claim to cover the cost.

This guide outlines all the exclusions of a buildings insurance policy, and here are the exclusions of contents cover.

Make a complaint

If you feel your claim has been rejected unfairly you should make a complaint to your insurance company.

You can find out how to make a home insurance complaint in this guide.

Protect your home and belongings for less by comparing home insurance policies to cover a range of property types and individual circumstances.