Compare home renovation insurance

With the help of a broker, you could find a policy that covers your home while you’re doing renovation work.

  • Find a policy that suits you
  • Get quotes in less than five minutes
  • Compare quotes from the leading insurance providers

or click here to find home insurance if you're renovating

Powered By

Compare home insurance from these leading providers

You'll only find results from genuine companies. Our data experts check each company before we add them to our comparisons.

Hasting Direct
More than logo
Legal General logo

How to get a home insurance quote


Enter your details

Get personalised home insurance quotes in minutes by providing just a few home details.


Compare quotes

Find the home insurance that’s right for you by exploring our best deals.


Apply and Save

Start saving money and apply with your chosen provider.

What is home renovation insurance?

If you are carrying out renovation work on your home, you may need specific insurance to protect the property and its contents.

Most standard policies do not cover major renovation work because it increases the chances of something going wrong and you needing to make a claim.

You usually need separate cover for:

  • damage to your building and contents

  • theft of your contents and building materials

  • personal accidents

Ask your existing home insurer if they can cover the work before you start. If they can’t, you need a separate policy.

house renovation

What does it cover?

  • Unoccupied property cover: protects your home for longer than the unoccupancy period offered by standard policies, because you may be unable to live in the property while large-scale renovations are carried out

  • Public liability cover: covers the cost of any legal or compensation claims if someone is injured while at your property – for example, if scaffolding falls and hits someone

  • Alternative accommodation: pays for living somewhere else if damage caused by the building work means you are unable to live in your property

  • Building material and equipment cover: covers any materials and equipment kept at the property, including items that have not yet been fitted, such as kitchen units

Most policies cover renovations to listed buildings, as long as you have consent from your local planning authority.

Do you need home renovation insurance?

You may need a specialist policy if:

  • the renovation means your home is not lived in for more than the standard 30 or 60 days

  • the work is extensive (some standard policies cover minor refurbishment)

  • expensive equipment and materials are kept at the property

Once the work has been completed, most renovation insurance policies can continue to cover your home, but you could get a better policy by comparing standard home insurance.


Home renovation insurance FAQs

Get home insurance quotes

Compare quotes to protect your home with the right cover.

Explore Home insurance guides

See more guides

man outside working on laptop

How to manage your home insurance policy

Once you have insured your home, you need to keep your cover up to date to make sure it stays valid. Here is how you can manage your home insurance policy.

Read More
2 Scottish houses by a road. One house has a white door and the other has a red door.

What home insurance do you need?

Whether you live in a flat or a mansion, getting the right home insurance policy is essential. Here is how to find the best cover for your property.

Read More
Empty road through a village, with small houses on either side of the road.

How to insure your second home

If you own a second home in the UK, you may need specific home insurance to protect it. Here is how to cover your second home.

Read More

Why compare home insurance with

By comparing home insurance, you could save money on the policy. The best value Home insurance will offer the cover to your home and content. Choose a cover plan from the best UK home insurance companies and see the online discounts they offer.

Proud to be award winning

We have always aimed to provide the best possible services to bridge the gap between our users and our clients. Over the years, we have been thrilled to be recognised by various prestigious bodies and organisations for those efforts.

stevie award
WMA 2021 Logo-768x632
nba logo
logo dma
ecommerce awards

Home Insurance comparison is provided by which is a trading name of Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office; Greyfriars House, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff, CF10 3AL, registered in England and Wales 03857130. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites. By using this system you are also agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. is an intermediary and receives a percentage of the commission if you decide to buy through us.

Last updated: 7 May 2022