What is Section 75?

It is a legal act that protects you when spending on your credit card, but only applies to credit card transactions between 100 and 30,000.

Here are some examples of when you would and wouldn't be covered by Section 75:

  • If you paid for a watch that cost 110, you would be covered by Section 75. However, if you bought two watches that cost 70 each, you would not be covered.

  • If you bought a tablet for 95 with a 7 delivery charge, you would not be covered by Section 75 because the item itself costs less than 100.

If your purchase cost less than 100, or over 30,000, you may be able to claim using the Chargeback scheme.

For more information you can find the official details of Section 75 here

When can you claim under Section 75?

There are only two scenarios you can claim on Section 75:

  1. Breach of contract: You do not get what you have paid for, or not to the standard specified. For example, an item you buy does not get delivered, or it is not in the condition described when purchasing.

  2. Misrepresentation: You are given the wrong information, which convinces you to pay for a product. For example, you buy an expensive pair of headphones after being misinformed that they would be compatible with your music player.

You cannot use Section 75 for any other reason, such as changing your mind after buying something and wanting to return it without proof of purchase.

How to claim under Section 75

You should always attempt to get a refund from the retailer you bought from before starting a Section 75 claim.

If your dispute with the retailer fails, you should contact your credit card provider to start your Section 75 claim.

Even if you closed your credit card account, you can still claim on Section 75.

You need to tell your credit card provider:

  • The name of the retailer

  • The service or product you bought

  • How much it cost

  • Any other costs you want to claim back

  • What was wrong with your purchase, e.g. it was faulty

  • The date you made the purchase

  • Any attempts you have made to get money back from the retailer

You may get asked to send the details in writing, including proof of purchase, or by completing a Section 75 claim form either online or by post.

Claiming for associated costs

Section 75 covers "consequential losses", as well as the cost of what you bought. This covers any costs caused by the problem with your purchase.

For example, if you bought tickets for an event that got cancelled, you may be able to claim back your travel and hotel costs from your credit card company.