Can you get cover for extreme sports abroad?

If you love doing extreme sports on holiday, make sure you have cover in place before you travel. Here is what sports you can get cover for, and how to find the right policy.

Share this guide
Man skiing down mountain slope

What is extreme sports cover?

It is financial protection against injury when you take part in extreme sports or activities while you are abroad.

Some extreme sports and activities are automatically covered in a normal single trip or annual travel insurance policy. If any are not, you can usually add them.

Travel insurance providers will charge you more for extreme sports cover because you have a higher chance of claiming when doing dangerous activities.

What does it cover?

    This guide explains what else your policy will cover, and how much you can be covered for.

    What activities can you get cover for?

    This depends on the travel insurance policy you choose. Most cover some activities as standard, and others that you have to pay extra to include.

    Sports that need extra cover

    These activities, sometimes called extreme or adventure sports, carry a higher risk of accident or injury, so you will need to pay extra if you plan to try them on holiday, including:

      If you are planning a skiing holiday, you will need to look at adding winter sports cover to your policy.

      Winter sports cover

      Most travel insurers will give you the option of adding a specific winter sports cover package to your policy when you apply.

      This will usually cover:

        You can also get cover for your ski pass should you be unable to use it due to illness or injury sustained on your trip, plus avalanche cover for if your trip is disrupted by an avalanche at your resort.

        Check the exclusions and cover amounts carefully. Some will set an increased medical excess for certain activities, or only cover you if you are accompanied by an instructor.

        Activities covered as standard

        These tend to be less risky activities like:

          Some insurers exclude personal accident and liability cover for more dangerous activities, including:

            For these activities you would still have medical expenses cover if you had an accident, but you would not be able to claim for personal injury or liability.

            Some policies may place restrictions on the activities you take part in. For example, you may only be covered for abseiling if you are accompanied by a certified instructor.

            Every travel insurance policy is different. Always check what activities are covered and if there are any restrictions in place.

            How to get the right cover for your trip

            You should compare travel insurance to find the most affordable policies that will cover the sports you need. To do this:

              You should also make sure the policy you choose offers all the cover you need for things like medical expenses, cancellation and baggage. You can find out what is covered under a travel insurance policy here.

              You should compare travel insurance to find the most affordable policies that will cover the sports you need.

              Plan carefully if you get annual cover

              Your annual policy will cover any trip you take during the policy term, so make sure you plan ahead and include any activities you might want to try.

              If you do not know what sports you will want to do before you take out the policy you can update it at a later date, but this could increase the cost.

              This guide explains how to keep your travel insurance up to date.

              Compare travel insurance

              For all your travel essentials in one place, visit our Travel Hub.

              If you have a pre-existing condition, you can still get a quote through These conditions could include cancer, stroke, serious heart, respiratory and terminal conditions.
              Some insurers might not cover you if you already have a serious medical condition, or if you have a number of conditions. Others might only offer insurance at a much higher price. If you're unable to find suitable cover, the Money and Pension Service (MaPS) has also set up a directory of insurers willing to cover customers with pre-existing medical conditions.
              You can contact the Money and Pensions Service (MaPS) or you can telephone 0800 138 7777.

              Make sure you get the best possible cover when you go away by comparing travel insurance deals. You can find the cover you need at the right price whatever your travel plans.