To find the best European breakdown cover policy you need to think about:

  • Whether you want a standalone policy or to add it to existing cover

  • What type of policy you need

  • What the policy will cover

Once you know what cover you need for your European trip, use this comparison to find as many quotes as possible to find the right policy at the best price.

Should you get a standalone policy?

You can get European breakdown insurance by:

  • Adding it your policy if you already have standard breakdown cover

  • Buying a standalone policy for your trip; this comparison shows providers that offer standalone European cover

Whichever way you get European breakdown cover, you need to make sure it gives you the cover you need.

What type of policy do you need?

There are two types of European breakdown cover you can choose from:

  • Single trip policy: This covers one short trip or holiday abroad, usually for between 1 and 31 days

  • Annual or multi trip policy: This covers you whenever you drive in Europe during the course of a year

If you are only going away once, a single trip policy will be the cheapest option. If you are likely to drive in Europe more often, think about getting an annual policy.

What is covered?

European breakdown protection offers the same cover as a standard UK policy, including roadside assistance and vehicle recovery. Here is what a breakdown policy covers.

You will be able to call a 24 hour UK helpline in the event of a breakdown, and they will send out a local patrol car to your location to help you.

You can also get extra protection with a European breakdown policy, including:

  • Cover before departure

  • Vehicle and passenger repatriation

  • Customs duty indemnity

Work out what you need your policy to cover and only compare policies that give you the protection you want. Find out more about what a European breakdown policy covers here.

European breakdown cover FAQs


Can I get cover for a single trip?


Yes, you can get a policy that covers one trip to Europe, or you can buy a policy that will cover you for any trips you take in a year.


Which countries will I be covered in?


Most European countries, but you may need to pay more to cover some locations. Find out what countries are usually covered here.


Will I need to speak the local language to get help?


No, because you will be able to call a UK based helpline who will take your information and arrange an engineer to come and help you.


Can I cover a motorhome or caravan in Europe?


Yes, most policies can protect these vehicles when you go to Europe. Find out what vehicles a breakdown policy can cover here.


What happens if I have to return home before my car is fixed?


Most policies cover the cost of returning your car to the UK. Some also give you a hire car while you wait for your car to arrive back.


Can I cover an older vehicle in Europe?


Yes, most providers can cover vehicles over ten years old in Europe. You can find breakdown cover for older cars here.


Will I be covered before I go abroad?


Yes, most policies offer cover before your departure. This means you can use your breakdown policy for up to seven days before you leave the UK.

About our breakdown cover comparison


Who do we include in this comparison?


We include European breakdown cover policies available from our panel of insurers and brokers. Here is more information about how our website works.


How do we make money from our comparison?


We have commercial agreements with some of the companies in this comparison and get paid commission if we help you take out one of their products or services. Find out more here.

You do not pay any extra and the deal you get is not affected.