• >
  • Guides>
  • Moving house: change of address checklist

Moving house: change of address checklist

There's lots to remember when you're moving home, and it's essential you let the relevant people know your new address. Here is what you need to do when you move.

Share this guide
A black family of three, an adult male and female with a young boy are packing boxes to move house. All of them are smiling and there is only a sofa left in the background, with multiple boxes in the foreground of the room

Moving house can be challenging in the best of circumstances. With so many things to remember or take care of, it can be difficult to keep track of everything that needs to be done. This is why making checklists can be helpful in ensuring you don't miss anything.

Personal checklist

  • Family

  • Employer

  • Friends

Financial checklist

  • Current account

  • Credit cards

  • Savings accounts

  • Pension

  • Home insurance

  • Car insurance

  • Life insurance

  • Travel insurance

  • Other insurance

  • Hire purchase providers

  • Student Loans Company

  • Loyalty cards

  • Share register

  • Premium bonds

What insurance do you need for your new home?

It depends on whether you own or rent your property:

If you have bought a new property:

You may need buildings and contents cover. You may also want insurance to cover your mortgage payments if you are unable to work.

Building insurance (or buildings insurance) meets the cost of repairs (or even a full rebuild) if your home is damaged.

It usually covers the 'bricks and mortar', which refers to the structure of your home and external fixtures like pipes. It protects against damage from bad weather, fire or theft. It can also cover internal fixtures and fittings like bathrooms and kitchens, and outdoor structures like sheds.

If there’s been a lot of damage to your property and it’s unsafe to remain at home, your insurer will pay for you to stay somewhere else until it’s been repaired.

There are some exclusions with standard buildings insurance. Most policies don’t cover general wear and tear, loss or damage, if your property has been left empty for more than 30 days or more.

Here’s some more information on what buildings insurance covers.

If you are renting a new property:

You should look at contents insurance to protect your belongings. Your landlord is responsible for getting buildings cover.

Home contents insurance protects all sorts of possessions. This could include furniture, electrical items, gadgets, clothing and cash.

You can protect against accidental damage, loss and even cover certain items outside of your home.

Find out more about contents cover here.

If you're unsure what cover is best for you, here is how to work out what home insurance you need.

Utilities checklist

Updated 20 April 2023
WaterTV Licence
GasDigital TV
LandlineMobile Phone
Updated 20 April 2023
Local CouncilVehicle RegistrationDentistGym/Club
Electoral registerBreakdown CoverOpticianNewsagent
Child BenefitCar FinanceVetSubscriptions

How to set up a Royal Mail redirect

Although it costs money to redirect your post, it is worthwhile because it helps protect your identity and stops important documents (like new bank cards) from falling into the wrong hands.

You also get the peace of mind of knowing that you aren't missing out on any vital correspondence.

Even if you are confident you have given your new address to everyone who will want to get in touch, it is still easy for one or two to slip through the net.

You can find out how to set up a redirection and the cost by visiting the Royal Mail website.

20 things to do when moving house
Redirect your mail on the Royal Mail website

Whether you are looking to move up the property ladder, downsize or just relocate we can help you find the right mortgage when you move home.

Read More

Woman taping boxes during moving house

20 things to do when moving house

Moving home is one of the most stressful and financially draining things you can do, so here are our top 12 things to arrange before moving day to make your life easier.

Read More
2 Scottish houses by a road. One house has a white door and the other has a red door.

What home insurance do you need?

Whether you live in a flat or a mansion, getting the right home insurance policy is essential. Here is how to find the best cover for your property.

Read More

About Martin Lane

View Martin Lane's full biography here or visit the money.co.uk press centre for our latest news.