Yes, some buy to let mortgages have a loan to value (LTV) of 80%. You could get one to:

  • Buy a new property to rent out

  • Remortgage your existing property with a better deal, e.g. if your fixed rate has ended

Some deals with an 80% or more LTV are only available to existing customers or can only be used for remortgaging.

But some can be used to buy a house if you are a first time landlord or want to add a new investment property to your portfolio.

What are 80% buy to let mortgages?

You can use a buy to let mortgage to buy a property to rent out to somebody else. You cannot use a normal mortgage for this.

An 80% LTV mortgage covers 80% of the value of the home you buy with it. For example, it would cover 120,000 of a house valued at 150,000. You would need to cover the remaining 20% with either:

  • A 30,000 deposit

  • 30,000 equity in a property you own already

Where to find them

Many lenders require a 25% deposit for buy to let mortgages. But the deals in this comparison have an LTV of 80% or more, so you could get them with a 20% deposit.

Use it to compare 80% deals by checking the interest rate, maximum LTV and what fees come with each mortgage.

How to choose the best 80% LTV mortgage

Check the cost of each mortgage by looking at:

80% BTL mortgages FAQs

Q

Can I just get a normal mortgage?

A

No, you cannot use a residential mortgage for an investment property. But the mortgages in this comparison can be used for buy to let.

Q

Can I get a BTL mortgage with no deposit?

A

No, you need a deposit to buy an investment property. The only buy to let mortgages with an LTV of 100% or more are for existing customers.

Q

Can I get an interest only BTL mortgage?

A

Yes, many buy to let mortgage are interest only. They let you pay back only the interest owed on your mortgage, not the balance; here is how they work.

Q

What is the maximum age I can get a BTL mortgage?

A

Some lenders offer mortgages that last until you are 85, but others have strict age restrictions. Here is how to get a mortgage when you are older.

Q

Does my credit record matter?

A

Yes, it shows lenders if you can keep up with repayments on a mortgage. Here is why your credit record matters.

About our mortgage comparison

Q

Who do we include in this comparison?

A

We include every mortgage in the UK you can apply for directly from the lender. They are all from lenders regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Here is more information about how our website works.

Q

How do we make money from our comparison?

A

We have commercial agreements with some of the companies in this comparison and get paid commission if we help you take out one of their products or services. Find out more here.
You do not pay any extra and the deal you get is not affected.