When it comes to getting a good mortgage, the more money you can put down as a deposit, the better.

This is because the less money the lender has to put forward, in terms of a loan to help you secure the property, the happier they'll be to help - simply because there's less risk for them.

If you are in a position where you can put down enough money to get a 25% deposit mortgage, then this means potential lenders will need to make up the remaining 75% - take a look at our guide on finding the perfect mortgage to learn more.

This is what's called Loan-to-Value (LTV) - for example, if you needed to borrow 150,000 for a house valued at 200,000, you'd need to look around for 75% mortgages.

Fixed or tracker best mortgage rates 75% LTV?

Once you've worked out whether you're in a position to be able to get a 75% LTV mortgage, you should decide what kind of mortgage deal you want.

Basically you need to think about whether you'd be more comfortable paying a fixed or variable rate mortgage.

With a fixed initial interest rate, the amount you repay for each instalment will be constant throughout.

With variable, or tracker, rates, the repayments will fluctuate in line with the Bank of England's general base rate.

The key benefit afforded by fixed rate mortgages is that they allow borrowers the chance to organise their finances, as they know exactly how much they need to repay each month.

This might be helpful if you're following a set budget or want stability, which is why they are popular with first-time buyers who can't afford to take as much of a risk and tend to earn less.

In contrast tracker mortgages are not fixed, so if it has been indicated that general interest rates will remain low for a period of time then borrowers - especially those looking for the best remortgage deals 75% LTV - might be drawn in by the temptation of lower rates.

When deciding, it's a case of working out what appeals to you and suits your situation - the consistency of fixed rates, or the possible gains (as well as associated risks) of variable rates.

Compare 75% mortgage deals from lenders

When you start searching for the best mortgage deals you should take into the differences between what each lender is offering.

In other words, while initial rates - the headline figure that's used to draw people in - will seem attractive, you need to look beyond them and judge each mortgage on its other features too.

One key thing to consider is what kind of fee is being charged for each offer.

These added costs - which might be called arrangement or product fees depending on the lender - can vary significantly and reach upwards of 1,000.

The higher fees tend to be associated with the lowest initial interest rates, as you are essentially being charged for their best mortgages.

So when you compare what each lender is offering for its cheapest 75% LTV interest rates, also look at what they will charge you for that mortgage at the same time.

Check our comparison to see what the major lenders are currently offering potential borrowers who want to take out a 75% LTV mortgage deal.

Different 75% LTV mortgage deals from individual lenders

When making a best 75% mortgages comparison there are other things to consider, as lenders will probably have a number of different deals available.

You may want to take out a mortgage that has a two year deal period at the lender's lowest initial rate, though as explained this will likely come with a larger product fee.

On the other hand, you might be more open to taking out a five year initial deal so that you get a potentially better rate for longer, even though monthly repayments will be more expensive than they will be with the shorter deals.

You may also find that lenders will offer you exclusive rates that have added benefits - though this might only be applicable if you are one of their customers already (i.e. a current account holder).

About our mortgage comparison

Q

Who do we include in this comparison?

A

We include every mortgage in the UK you can apply for directly from the lender. They are all from lenders regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Here is more information about how our website works.

Q

How do we make money from our comparison?

A

We have commercial agreements with some of the companies in this comparison and get paid commission if we help you take out one of their products or services. Find out more here.
You do not pay any extra and the deal you get is not affected.