Compare short-term unoccupied house insurance

Protect your house and contents when leaving your home unoccupied for short periods.

  • Get quotes in under five minutes
  • Compare multiple quotes from leading providers
  • Find short-term unoccupied home insurance that meets your needs

or click here to find short term unoccupied house insurance

Powered By

Compare home insurance from leading providers

You'll only find results from genuine companies. Our data experts check each company before we add them to our comparisons.

Hasting Direct
More than logo
Legal General logo

How to get a home insurance quote


Enter your details

Get personalised quotes in minutes by providing a few home details.


Compare quotes

Simply choose the policy that best suits your property by exploring our best deals.


Apply and Insure

Once you have selected your chosen policy, apply and start protecting your property.

What is short-term home insurance?

Short-term home insurance – also known as short-term unoccupied house insurance – covers your home if you leave it empty for more than 30 days, which is the usual limit of a standard home insurance policy. 

An empty home is at greater risk of vandalism, wear and tear, fires and break-ins, so it’s essential to get short-term home insurance if you want to make sure you’re financially covered if something goes wrong while your property is empty.

You might need short-term home insurance if:

  • you’re going on a long trip

  • you’re moving out while your home’s being renovated

  • you’re moving house but haven’t yet sold your home

  • you’ve bought a new house but can’t move into it yet

  • you have a rental property that currently has no tenants

  • you’ve just inherited a property

Short-term house insurance is typically more expensive than standard home insurance because if something goes wrong in an unoccupied property – like a fire or burst pipe – there won’t be anyone there to sort it out quickly.

What is covered by short-term house insurance?

Short-term house insurance generally covers you against damage and losses caused by:

  • fire and smoke

  • storm and flood

  • impacts

  • water or oil 

  • theft, attempted theft and vandalism

What additional unoccupied house cover can I get?

As part of your short-term unoccupied house insurance policy, you could get the following cover.

Building cover

Covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding your property if it’s damaged. It may also cover the cost of repairing and/or rebuilding fixtures or outbuildings.

Contents cover

Covers the cost of repairing or replacing lost or damaged belongings kept in the property. You’ll be given a set amount that you can claim for, but you can pay extra to increase this figure.

Property owner’s liability cover

Covers third-party claims for injury, damage or loss, to people or their property, caused by your home.

Covers you for legal expenses incurred in the process of managing your home. For example, it could cover the cost of evicting a tenant.

It’s important to remember that every temporary home insurance policy is different. You’ll need to check yours carefully to see exactly what you’re covered for, how much cover you have, as well as what you’re not covered for.

What do I need to tell my insurer to get temporary home insurance?

You’ll need to tell your insurer the length of time the property will be unoccupied, as well as offering them an appraisal of the condition of the property, such as any existing damage to windows, doors or the roof.

If you do not tell the truth about the property when you apply it may invalidate your policy, meaning you won’t be able to claim later.

building works

What do I need to do to my property to keep it safe? 

Your insurer may request that you do some of the following before it offers you short-term unoccupied house insurance:

  • Visit the property regularly

  • Keep the heating on a timer to avoid pipes freezing or bursting

  • Turn off the mains water supply and electricity

If you’re looking to insure a property that you’re renovating, check you can get cover before you start.

Find specialist renovation insurance here

Which is the best short-term house insurance policy?

To find the best short-term house insurance policy, you’ll need to think about the following:

  • What building cover you need: make sure you get enough insurance to cover the rebuild value of your property if the worst happens

  • What contents cover you need: if you keep contents in the property, calculate its replacement value in case your items are damaged or stolen

  • The length of cover you need: policies usually allow you to choose between three, six, nine, or 12 months of cover.

Shop around to find the best short-term house insurance policy for your unoccupied home. Use our broker form to compare quotes from each insurer in this comparison.

Here’s more information on unoccupied home insurance

Can I get cheap short-term home insurance?

Price shouldn’t be your top priority. You should always aim to find the cover that best suits your needs. Once you know the level cover you want, compare policies and shop around to find the policy that offers what you need at the best price.

How can I make my short-term home insurance cheaper?

There are a few other things you can do to cut the cost of your short-term home insurance. These include:

  • removing valuable contents from the property before you apply

  • securing the property with an alarm or extra locks

  • joining a Neighbourhood Watch scheme to let thieves know that your neighbours are watching over your home

  • raising the excess on your policy, making sure you can afford the excess if you need to claim

Short-term unoccupied house insurance FAQs

Get home insurance quotes

Compare quotes to protect your home with the right cover.

Explore Home insurance guides

See more guides

man outside working on laptop

How to manage your home insurance policy

Once you have insured your home, you need to keep your cover up to date to make sure it stays valid. Here is how you can manage your home insurance policy.

Read More
2 Scottish houses by a road. One house has a white door and the other has a red door.

What home insurance do you need?

Whether you live in a flat or a mansion, getting the right home insurance policy is essential. Here is how to find the best cover for your property.

Read More
Empty road through a village, with small houses on either side of the road.

How to insure your second home

If you own a second home in the UK, you may need specific home insurance to protect it. Here is how to cover your second home.

Read More

Why compare home insurance with

By comparing home insurance, you could save money on the policy. The best value Home insurance will offer the cover to your home and content. Choose a cover plan from the best UK home insurance companies and see the online discounts they offer.

Proud to be award winning

We have always aimed to provide the best possible services to bridge the gap between our users and our clients. Over the years, we have been thrilled to be recognised by various prestigious bodies and organisations for those efforts.

stevie award
WMA 2021 Logo-768x632
nba logo
logo dma
ecommerce awards

Home Insurance comparison is provided by which is a trading name of Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office; Greyfriars House, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff, CF10 3AL, registered in England and Wales 03857130. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites. By using this system you are also agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. is an intermediary and receives a percentage of the commission if you decide to buy through us.

Last updated: 7 May 2022