Compare second-home insurance

Compare specialist insurance policies to find the right level of building and contents cover to protect your second home when you’re not there.

  • Choose your extras
  • Protect your second home and contents
  • Comapre quotes from multiple providers to find the best policy for you

or click here to find home insurance for your second home

Powered By

Compare home insurance from leading providers

You'll only find results from genuine companies. Our data experts check each company before we add them to our comparisons.

Hasting Direct
More than logo
Legal General logo

How to get a home insurance quote


Enter your details

Get personalised quotes in minutes by providing a few home details.


Compare quotes

Find the home insurance that’s right for you by exploring our best deals.


Apply and save

Start saving money and apply with your chosen provider.

Do you need second-home insurance?

Possibly. If you use your second property regularly, a standard home insurance policy may be sufficient. You may even be able to get your current home insurer to extend your policy to include your second home. However, most insurance companies only consider the property occupied if you regularly stay there overnight. If that’s not the case, you may need to think about a specialist second-home insurance policy. 

You’ll also need a separate policy if you rent out your second home to tenants – in these circumstances, look for a landlord insurance policy.

How long will your property be empty?

Most second-home insurance policies only cover an unoccupied property for 30 or 60 days. If your second home is empty for longer, you need a specialist policy to protect it.

If you leave your second home unoccupied for long periods, you should avoid leaving expensive contents in it to reduce the risk of theft.

large empty house

What second-home insurance cover does your property need?

Not all second-home insurance policies are equal. As well as buildings and contents cover, think about how you use your second property to determine which specific type of insurance you need. For example:

A holiday home you only visit a few times a year

Look for a holiday home policy, especially if you rent it out. This provides cover geared towards the specific requirements of owning a holiday property.

A house you inherit that will need cover before it is sold

If the sale is likely to take a while, a dedicated unoccupied home policy might be the best option.

A property you’re doing up but have not yet occupied

If you are working on a property prior to taking up permanent residence, consider a home renovation policy.

Somewhere you stay for work

A second-home policy is also a good choice if you stay somewhere separate for work purposes – for example if you spend weekdays in a flat that’s closer to your workplace before travelling back to your family’s main residence at weekends.

Do you need extra protection?

Think about what else you may need to be protected against. 

For example, if you rent out the property as a holiday home when not using it, you should think about the following:

  • public liability cover

  • loss of rent or income cover

  • employer's liability insurance to cover any cleaners or gardeners you hire

 Cover you need when renting out your second property 

How to get the best second-home insurance for you

When looking for second-home insurance, think about:

  • how long your property will be unoccupied

  • what insurance cover your second home needs, such as buildings and contents insurance

  • whether you need any extra protection – for example, if you rent out your property

As with all insurance policies, it’s important to find the right level of cover, not just the cheapest policy. Make sure you obtain a range of quotes from providers that meet your needs before comparing them to identify the most affordable one.

Second home insurance FAQs

Get home insurance quotes

Compare quotes to protect your home with the right cover.

Explore Home insurance guides

See more guides

man outside working on laptop

How to manage your home insurance policy

Once you have insured your home, you need to keep your cover up to date to make sure it stays valid. Here is how you can manage your home insurance policy.

Read More
2 Scottish houses by a road. One house has a white door and the other has a red door.

What home insurance do you need?

Whether you live in a flat or a mansion, getting the right home insurance policy is essential. Here is how to find the best cover for your property.

Read More
Empty road through a village, with small houses on either side of the road.

How to insure your second home

If you own a second home in the UK, you may need specific home insurance to protect it. Here is how to cover your second home.

Read More

Why compare home insurance with

By comparing home insurance, you could save money on the policy. The best value Home insurance will offer the cover to your home and content. Choose a cover plan from the best UK home insurance companies and see the online discounts they offer.

Proud to be award winning

We have always aimed to provide the best possible services to bridge the gap between our users and our clients. Over the years, we have been thrilled to be recognised by various prestigious bodies and organisations for those efforts.

stevie award
WMA 2021 Logo-768x632
nba logo
logo dma
ecommerce awards

Home Insurance comparison is provided by which is a trading name of Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office; Greyfriars House, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff, CF10 3AL, registered in England and Wales 03857130. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites. By using this system you are also agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. is an intermediary and receives a percentage of the commission if you decide to buy through us.

Last updated: 13 May 2022