If you have a disability there are a raft of practical and financial measures available to help you at work; these are in addition to the financial support you can get to supplement your income.

Whether you're job hunting or need support to stay in your current role, we explain what help is on offer:

Looking for work if you're disabled

As well as the usual job search resources, newspapers and online ads, the national Jobcentre Plus network has the infrastructure in place to help you find a disability-friendly employer.

For a start, any adverts and application forms that display the 'positive about disabled people' symbol (with 2 ticks) mean you're guaranteed an interview as long as you meet the role's basic conditions.

Jobcentres also have a Disability Employment Adviser who can help you find a new job, gain new skills, and give general advice for your job hunt.

Through them you can also request an employment assessment, referral to a work psychologist or enrolment on a number of training schemes. You can find these schemes on GOV.uk website, including:

Work ChoiceThis is a voluntary service that offers training, coaching and support to help you find and/or keep a job. It replaces the WORKSTEP and Work Preparation initiatives.

Access to WorkThis offers grants to help you pay for specialist equipment, travel and support workers to assist in your job or interview. It's available in England, Wales and Scotland only, you don't have to repay the grant and it won't affect any other benefits you receive.

Residential Training
This lets you attend a live-in, campus training course if there are no suitable courses available in your area. It is offered by 9 providers across England only (some providers may accept students from Wales and Scotland).

Live in Northern Ireland?
See the nidirect website for details of work schemes and programmes available in Northern Ireland.

Higher education
Disabled Student Allowance is available for adults in higher education, depending on your circumstances and the outcome of a specific needs assessment.

As an undergraduate you could receive up to 5,212 a year for specialist equipment, up to 20,725 for a non-medical helper, and a general allowance up to 1,741. Postgraduates can apply for a single yearly allowance of up to 10,362.

Read our guide, Grants and funding for disabled students for more information.

Disability rights in the workplace

If you've got a job or you become disabled while in work, try to stay in constant dialogue with your employer. Letting them know how your health and your circumstances develop, as it happens, can help solve problems before they snowball.

In fact, employers have a legal responsibility to make "reasonable adjustments" on your behalf; whether that's to your role, your training or your place of work.

They may even be able to apply for an Access to Work grant to pay for some of the changes needed. This could include transferring you to another post, making changes to your place of work and/or the provision of a reader or interpreter.

It's also worth checking UK in-work disability programmes via the Disability Rights UK website; this includes details of Return to Work Credit and In-Work Credit.

What if you experience discrimination?
If you feel that the company isn't making "reasonable adjustments" you may need to refer the matter to your line manager, your trade union or an employment tribunal. Check the Equality & Human Rights Commission website to see if your employer is playing ball.

If you ever feel you have been subjected to discrimination, consult the Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS) and contact your trade union (if you have one) for disability advice.

Importantly you should NEVER accept discrimination. If you are unsure whether it counts or not, speak confidentially to the EASS rather than simply letting it lie. Other charities such as Citizens Advice Bureau can also help make sure you get the right treatment and support.