How to Complain About a Debt Collection Company

by from, Last Updated: 12 January 2015

If you have been harassed, publicly embarrassed or treated unfairly or unreasonably by a debt collector or a bailiff you are entitled to complain. We explain how.

Older man and woman with advisor at home

How to complain about a debt collector

If you feel that you have been mistreated, or harassed by a company you owe money to or a debt collection agency you can complain about the way you've been treated.

You should first write to the company or debt collection agency in question expressing your complaint.

If they do not adequately resolve the issue you may be able to take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Providing the company or debt collection agency chasing you for money is FCA registered they should be able to investigate your complaint.

Read our guide: How to complain about financial services for more information on how to do this.

How to complain about a bailiff?

If you've been treated unfairly by a bailiff you need to complain direct to the company they work for. It's best to put your complaint in writing and keep a record of their response.

If they don't help you resolve the matter you should then complain to the organisation that you owe money too.

You can also complain to their trade association, if they're a registered member. The two largest organisations are the Civil Enforcement Association website or the High Court Enforcement Officers Association website.

Get our free money saving newsletter
Join over 450,000 other subscribers who grab our expert money tips, unmissable money guides & hottest bargains each week in our special email...

Related Guides

Free Money Saving Newsletter

Be the first to find out about the hottest bargains, biggest freebies & best deals each week! Terms & Conditions

Follow Us